Saturday, September 30, 2006

SCRIPTURE CORNER

CHARITY AND THE CONTRARY VICES

fragments from "Scripture by Topic" - Originally titled "The Divine Armory of Holy Scripture" - 1943 edition - Angelus Press 2006

1. The perfection and excellence of charity in general.


The end of the commandment is charity from a pure heart, and a good conscience, and an unfeigned faith 1 Thess. 1:5
All the law is fulfilled in one word: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Gal. 5:14
He that loveth his neighbour hath fulfilled the law. For thou shalt not commit adultery; thou shalt not kill; thou shalt not steal; thou shalt not bear false witness; thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is comprised in this word: Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. The love of our neighbour worketh no evil; love, therfeore, is the fulfiling of the law. Rom. 13:8-10
Charity is patient, is kind; charity envieth not, dealeth not perversely; is not puffed up; is not ambitious; seeketh not her own; is not provoked to anger; thinketh no evil; rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth with the truth; beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. 1 Cor. 13:4-7
Love is strong as death; jelousy as hard as hell. Many waters cannot quench charity, neither can the floods drown it. Cant. 8; 6f.
If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal. And if I should have prophecy, and should know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And if I should distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I should deliver my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. 1 Cor. 13: 1-3
Charity never falleth away, whether prophecies shall be made void, or tongues shall cease, or knowledge shall be destroyed. 1 Cor. 13.8
In Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth anything nor uncircumcision, but faith that worketh by charity. Gal. 5;6
Above all these things have charity, which is the bond of perfection. Col. 3:14